It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:26 pm
Change font size
The Gent's Club Rage-free Gaming!

Minecraft

Set me a functional challenge.

General Minecraft Area, and Signups

Set me a functional challenge.

Postby Caridor » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:06 am

To put it bluntly, building great monuments to vanity has always bored me. I've tried building temples and cathedrals, but anything more than small scale things gets left unfinished because its not fun to.
What I've always loved about minecraft is building machines or systems.
Technic pack and vanilla are both superb for this but I've run out of ideas.
So tell me what to build. Give me a machine to create, something to tease my brain.

Some of my previous creations:

The Wool Factory.
Shearing has to be done manually but once you have.....
At a push of a button, all the wool is moved by water to a secondary water channel. The floodgates are open for exactly the right amount of time (since popcorn sheep do tax the computer a bit) and the system doesn't allow any sheep to escape
And its ready to collect :)

Beef Barbeque
These were taking in technic, simply due to the ability to switch into creative mode for screen capping. This world is legit and vanilla.

A lovely cow field
The normally closed JAWS OF DEATH.
When you pull the lever, water comes from the mid points of 3 of the cardinal directions. This pushes some of the herd away from the jaws of death, which are now open so that you have some to breed from and the majority towards them.
Beyond the jaws of death, lies less than 1 layer thick of lava, held up by signs. Its your standard lava blade really. Cows get set on fire and drop right down to their deaths. The fall damage kills them.
And then you have some yummy cooked steak :)

And then my latest and possibly greatest (cooked up and built while typing this thread)
The Enderman Grinder
Yeah, Im not kidding and if you have the patience for mining all that obsidian, its entirely legit. Its a little known fact that endermen can't teleport away while in a minecart. With the addition of glass panes, we now have a half block that won't fully impede movement into that square and can stand up on its own.
This may look complex but its really quite simple. The glass panes above the minecarts allow endermen to enter, while directing water away from the rails, stopping them from being destroyed. The signs on the inside, stacked one on top of another, allow the player to look out (thus aggroing the endermen), while making sure he stays dry.
Endermen caught.
Endermen being executed.
Death take you!

So now you've seen what I like, give me some suggestions.
Caridor

Re: Set me a functional challenge.

Postby Firellius » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Can't Endermen teleport through stuff? That would make your Enderblender a lot more dangerous to use.
Firellius

Postby Caridor » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Firellius wrote:Can't Endermen teleport through stuff? That would make your Enderblender a lot more dangerous to use.

The space Im occupying is 2 blocks high, just high enough for me.
Endermen are 3 blocks high and therefore, can't teleport to me
Caridor

Postby Krimson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Make a Breeding station! I've sort of seen it done before but i'm sure there was a better way than I saw. Use the breeding system to make a factory that produces tons of baby animals :mrgreen:
Like a sir, Gentlife.

=|:3
Krimson
TGC Founder

Postby Caridor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Krimson wrote:Make a Breeding station! I've sort of seen it done before but i'm sure there was a better way than I saw. Use the breeding system to make a factory that produces tons of baby animals :mrgreen:

Your challenge is accepted!
I have an idea for both vanilla and technic pack versions of this so Ill post both once I'm done (assuming redpower deployers work how I think they do).

Progress report: Been at this for about 3 hours and I've determined that minecarts are a bust for this build. The problem is that while you can put them in minecarts and have a space between them, its completely random where the piglet pops out.
However, I have some other ideas, this isn't done yet.

A couple of hours later: Got working components for my piston powered conveyer belt and a breeding chamber. All I need now is to work on a way to sort one adult into one belt and the other into another and then just assemble the thing.

After an hour and 150 cows: I've found out the only difference apart from loot between a baby and an adult is aesthetic. But on the plus side, I have found another way to separate them, one I was stupid not to see earlier. Means my piston conveyer is pointless and thats more time wasted.
On the plus side, this will be done within the hour hopefully. All the components are working, just need to build the thing.
Caridor

Postby Caridor » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:35 am

And 37 minutes since my last post, here it is.
Total time experimenting and building: About 5 hours
Please note that while I did this in technic pack, simply down to easily being able to switch between creative and normal modes, this machine uses only vanilla blocks and none of the mods change the way any of the components work. To all effects and purposes, this is vanilla friendly.

Overall view of the machine. I used relatively few carts, just to save time but you could add more if you like.

This is the breeding chamber. You can't see it very well but theres a button on the block in the centre above their heads. We'll come to what it does later.
The water channel in the centre whisks the baby cows away to a pen. Since you'll be holding wheat, they'll run out to get it like an adult would.

When I press the button, the cows drop down, allowing the next ones to be brought in. Powered rails stop and hold the carts when unpowered and push them along when powered. This means that a simple button can be used to move them one stage at a time before dropping down to a second rail which takes them to the start of the conveyer system

And this is the product, ready to be ground into a fine white powder and smuggled through customs :)
Caridor

Postby Krimson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Ahaha, awesome! If you want another challenge let me know [teemo]
Like a sir, Gentlife.

Krimson
TGC Founder

Postby Caridor » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:40 pm

Lay them on me Krimson
Like I said, I don't enjoy building aesthetic stuff and I've run out of ideas for functional machines.
And I could really use something to occupy my brain
Caridor

Postby Krimson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:12 am

This one is more of a practical thing that'd I'd personally like to learn how to build, perhaps you can do this one in a more tutorial form? [teemo]

I'd really like a Minecart transport system where you jump in the cart, press a button corresponding to the location you want to go to (of say 3) and it sends you there.

I've seen other systems (such as the one on Ryulin's server) but they are usually quite complicated and way beyond my needs. One of the main issues with those is they send you to junctions where you stop and pick another path, which usually requires a map etc. to navigate. Simply something where station A has the options B,C and D and then Station B has the options A, C and D etc. would be awesome.

Not really a machine as such, so perhaps not quite the thing you were looking for, but would be very useful!
Like a sir, Gentlife.

Krimson
TGC Founder

Postby Caridor » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Krimson wrote:This one is more of a practical thing that'd I'd personally like to learn how to build, perhaps you can do this one in a more tutorial form? [teemo]

I'd really like a Minecart transport system where you jump in the cart, press a button corresponding to the location you want to go to (of say 3) and it sends you there.

I've seen other systems (such as the one on Ryulin's server) but they are usually quite complicated and way beyond my needs. One of the main issues with those is they send you to junctions where you stop and pick another path, which usually requires a map etc. to navigate. Simply something where station A has the options B,C and D and then Station B has the options A, C and D etc. would be awesome.

Not really a machine as such, so perhaps not quite the thing you were looking for, but would be very useful!

That shouldn't be too hard, Ill put up a video asap

Edit: I've got a corker of a system here for you. Just waiting for daylight and the rain to stop so I can record the tutorial and explanation. Dead simple, single button system that will take you to any number of points, only limited by how far you can reach from the minecart :) (and if you wanted to get really clever with it, you could have (number of buttons -1) squared. The -1 would be the launch)

And for some reason fraps is doing to my frame rate what tryndamere does to low level games.
So gonna have to be in picture format. I'll also include the world download:

Since this is a tutorial style thing, We'll have to go over some basic concepts first. You probably know these but just to be sure.

First: Unpowered powered rails stop minecarts but to give them any forward momentum again requires some help from gravity to give it direction, otherwise the powered rail will do nothing. Once you provide power, usually with a button, gravity gives it direction and the rail can apply power

Second: Junctions in minecart tracks can be changed with redstone but theres some wierd directionality issues (They react differently when facing north, south, east and west). Its tricky but if you have them facing the right way, they'll switch between two different directions when powered and default to the other when unpowered.

Third: The T-Flip-Flop is a simple redstone circuit that we're going to be using. Basically, it acts like a remote lever (flipping when ever it recieves an input), which is going to enable us to enable and reset our junctions. Images of both states are shown here, everything in the circuit is shown and both pistons are sticky. The torch applies power to the block above it, which transfers that power to the output wire, which leads to the lamp.
Image Off
Image On

Ok, so now we have those concepts, how do we make them into a train system?
Well, heres an over view.

It looks a lot more complex than it is so let me explain.
In the second image, we see the rail that holds the minecart until we push either button A or B. We're going to refer to the wire that provides power to the powered rail to launch us as the "launch wire".
Both A and B buttons are connected separate wires, which are each connected by way of a repeater (to avoid interferance) to the launch wire.
In this example, Destination A is the default, so doesn't need any further wiring, apart from the launch wire.

But Destination B isn't, so how do we link that up?
The answer is our T flip flop circuit, shown in the first image. Its a simple matter of building a T flip flop next to the junction so that the output can apply power to the junction. When you press the button for destination B, it launches the minecart and toggles the T flip flop which then applies power to the rail, changing the direction it will send the minecart.
Then, you need to reset the T flip flop so that it will work next time, which is easily done with a detector rail, hooked up to the flip flop. (Remember that detector rails don't work with empty minecarts).

Thats the basic theory. Now all you need to do is to build more junctions and more T-flip-flops for any number of desinations, then simply connecting or not connecting the buttons to the T-flip-flops as appropriate.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qnfj591fy2zpcai

If thats not what you needed, then just let me know and I'll try to solve the issues you're having.
Caridor

Next

Return to Minecraft