It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 am
Change font size
The Gent's Club Rage-free Gaming!

Club General Chat

Any gents who are bi?

A chat for Club stuff that isn't directly related to a game.

Any gents who are bi?

Postby He Who Hungers » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:53 am

For a linguistics assignment, my teacher's asked me to find a quote by a bilingual speaker (as in, having two languages as a mother tongue, been told that in English you actually call this a double monolingual? Whatever that is). Are there any gents who happen to apply to the above description?
Confucius wrote:The gentleman is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.
He Who Hungers

Re: Any gents who are bi?

Postby SToneGolemmm » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Maybe. I don't know if I can help you.

I do know a Chinese guy that could maybe help. But I don't know if he's willing.
SToneGolemmm

Postby He Who Hungers » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Well, the main point is whether or not he has 2 mother tongues. Then again, the quote would have to be spontaneous, so it might be hard to get one out of someone who I don't know in any way at all...
Confucius wrote:The gentleman is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.
He Who Hungers

Postby SToneGolemmm » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:48 pm

What kind of quote are you looking for? I'm not good with spontaneous, or talking.
SToneGolemmm

Postby MrLebowski3 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:03 pm

so i read the title and was like wtf? then I read the actuall description and it made me laugh.

Unfortunately I don't speak any language other than english (and i can't even do that well :P)

And I don't know where you got "double monolingual" from (whatever that is), but if you speak 2 languages you are bilingual...
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
MrLebowski3

Postby He Who Hungers » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:57 pm

SToneGolemmm wrote:What kind of quote are you looking for? I'm not good with spontaneous, or talking.

Well, it's a linguistics course, so I can't exactly tell the other person what to say, or they'll watch what they say before they say it. What I'm looking for is what people naturally say.

MrLebowski3 wrote:so i read the title and was like wtf? then I read the actuall description and it made me laugh.

Unfortunately I don't speak any language other than english (and i can't even do that well :P)

And I don't know where you got "double monolingual" from (whatever that is), but if you speak 2 languages you are bilingual...

An Australian friend of mine told me that bilingual simply means speaking two languages, while having two different mother tongues is referred to as a double monolingual.
He Who Hungers

Postby SToneGolemmm » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:23 pm

So, what's your plan when you've found someone?
SToneGolemmm

Postby He Who Hungers » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Well, I'm not assuming I find someone, those people are hard to find. But I'd probably just play a game with them and see what I can get out of it.
He Who Hungers

Postby Krimson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:19 pm

He Who Hungers wrote:been told that in English you actually call this a double monolingual? Whatever that is

Pretty sure we just say Bilingual?

[teemo]
Like a sir, Gentlife.

=|:3
Krimson
TGC Founder

Postby He Who Hungers » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Based on a quick google search, I concluded that double monolingualism seems to be the scientific term for a specific case of bilingualism, namely, the previously mentioned case where a person has two different mother tongues, not sure if that term translates well into Dutch, but in any case, my teacher told me that that is the case I should be looking for.
He Who Hungers

Next

Return to Club General Chat