It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:27 pm
Change font size
The Gent's Club Rage-free Gaming!

Club General Chat

Storywriting RPG, anyone?

A chat for Club stuff that isn't directly related to a game.

Re: Storywriting RPG, anyone?

Postby Krimson » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:16 am

I think some important points to remember are that;

a) Players should not assume things about other player characters unless those things are explicitly stated in text (or perhaps revealed out of character such as in this thread?)

b) Players should not assume that the other players know/understand the lore from which your character may draw (for example I know very little about vampire lore so I wouldn't assume a character has any vampiric traits until I'm explicitly told about them)

c) Players should not assume that other players will make certain assumptions about your character (for example regarding the nature of an item or character's appearance that hasn't been fully described)

What I'm saying is, remember that the rest of us don't know your character or what your thinking when you write your addition to the story so if it's not down in text, don't assume we are thinking the same things as you about your part of the story! :mrgreen:

(That came out somewhat more complicated than I planned but I hope everyone got my point!)

Finally, a question to our rulesetter - As it is not really necessary for my 'character' to have a lot of input in the story for a while, am I allowed to add pieces to the story consisting purely of NPCs that are unrelated to my character? For example flavour text, descriptions and the general behaviours of the minor characters.
Like a sir, Gentlife.

=|:3
Krimson
TGC Founder

Postby CorruptDictator » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:15 am

Tell whatever story you want, although from past experiences I know often other players start to skip posts when people are outside the action for too long and do not really know anything about them when they come into whatever major stories have developed.
“your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”
― Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential
CorruptDictator

Postby Crazzyhorse » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:20 pm

I was wondering if it is possible to take the role of a npc that came up only for one scene (e.g. the young thief in the current story)?
Crazzyhorse

Postby Firellius » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:30 pm

If no one has any plans for him, feel free to.

I don't have any, but maybe Dictator or Albelius does?
Firellius

Postby CorruptDictator » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:32 pm

I simply put him there for my own use and have no plans to use him again.
CorruptDictator

Postby He Who Hungers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:23 pm

I might actually have something for him, but that shouldn't stop you from using him as your character. I'll contact you about it later.
Confucius wrote:The gentleman is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.
He Who Hungers

Postby Firellius » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:47 am

Guys can we try and keep continuity please. :)
In my first post I said "The chill and sharp wind from outside kept at bay by the roaring fires" a bit later someone posts that "he had dozed off in the warm sun" and further in the story "It is quite hot here".
Seems we have gone from winter to summer weather in under a day.
What should we do about this?

I'm afraid you'll have to change it around Ryulin.

My first post is about Babylon plucking a fruit and resting in a forest's clearing. Fruit doesn't grow during the winter, and you don't sit around outside in the blistering cold.

The first post in the RPG indicates spring or summer, rather than winter.
Firellius

Postby He Who Hungers » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 am

Firellius wrote:
Guys can we try and keep continuity please. :)
In my first post I said "The chill and sharp wind from outside kept at bay by the roaring fires" a bit later someone posts that "he had dozed off in the warm sun" and further in the story "It is quite hot here".
Seems we have gone from winter to summer weather in under a day.
What should we do about this?

I'm afraid you'll have to change it around Ryulin.

My first post is about Babylon plucking a fruit and resting in a forest's clearing. Fruit doesn't grow during the winter, and you don't sit around outside in the blistering cold.

The first post in the RPG indicates spring or summer, rather than winter.

Where did this quote even come from?

EDIT: found it!

Yeah, I basically read right through that one, Ryulin... I guess Firellius's post gave me more of an impression of how the outside world looked than yours did (you were working inside, after all). I guess I just took off with Firellius's image of a time when fruit's growing, and made it into a sunny day for Heartache to sleep :/
Confucius wrote:The gentleman is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.
He Who Hungers

Postby CorruptDictator » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:05 pm

This is why I like being indoors, do not have to talk about the weather, lol.
CorruptDictator

Postby Ryulin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:07 pm

I will change it, as it is a lot easier for me to change one line than for multiple other changes.

However I will demonstrate my thought process - and make my case:

Main point made:
Fruit growing in Winter...That's an apple tree with apples on it...
SnowAppleTree-793916.jpg

And no one except Firellius has any idea what Babylon is or his climate preferences, he many have come from a much colder climate.
Do a google image search for "snow mammals" - to get an idea of how many creatures live in that climate (not that I went as far to mention snow at all).
However I know there is a rule against "touching" other peoples characters so assuming Babylon has more human like climate preferences:
"He sat back against the tree again, savouring his victory." the tree would offer ample protection from the wind, and nothing about temperature was mentioned anywhere.

All that aside
It may be Autumn or Spring, it may be unseasonable weather, the town may lie at the foot of a mountain and when the wind blows in a certain direction you get a cold wind any time of the year, to list just a few plausible situations.
When my post was made nothing of that kind had been considered and I deliberately went back and looked carefully in previous posts before adding that phase as I knew it could potentially affect the whole story to come.

I love to add a spin to these stories where an opportunity arises, I will of course not overwrite anything written before but I think sometimes there is a good place to add some yet unmentioned information, and that is what I did.

I'll place a clear warning here that it WILL happen again (and I have at least one more plot twist planned for the future) of course the story direction may stop this from happening but I'm not giving any clues.
~Ryulin
Ryulin
TGC Founder

Previous

Return to Club General Chat