It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 am
Change font size
The Gent's Club Rage-free Gaming!

Club General Chat

Storywriting RPG, anyone?

A chat for Club stuff that isn't directly related to a game.

Storywriting RPG, anyone?

Postby Firellius » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Would people be interested in starting some storywriting RPG on this forum? I mean, we have a comfortable group, and I would love to write with you all.
Firellius

Re: Storywriting RPG, anyone?

Postby He Who Hungers » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm

What's a storywriting RPG? ^^
Confucius wrote:The gentleman is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.
He Who Hungers

Postby Firellius » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Basically a story in which everyone plays a character. Everyone writes for his or her own character what they do and what they think, how they feel and how they develop.

There are few rules to basic storywriting RPG. You're not allowed to write someone else's character, you're not allowed to go overboard with what your character can do and you have to adhere to the gamesmaster's rules.

Virtually anything can be done with storywriting RPG. I can try and cook one up here for us to give it a try.
Firellius

Postby Justice Elonysis » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:41 pm

This is awesome man, I'm up for this ^^

One time Bob messed up and accidentally bought two boots in a game. When one of his teammates started raging, he just said "two feet two boots"
Justice Elonysis

Postby Krimson » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:44 am

Sounds fun, but I don't think i'd have time for it, good luck on setting it up though!
Like a sir, Gentlife.

=|:3
Krimson
TGC Founder

Postby Firellius » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:58 am

Krimson wrote:Sounds fun, but I don't think i'd have time for it, good luck on setting it up though!

On a forum it actually moves on a very gradual pace, where you can just post when you feel like it. A scene in the story usually takes multiple days to complete, so you can just jump in and write your character's side any time you want.
Firellius

Postby Firellius » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Okay, how about this?

RPG name: Nox Praha

Setting: Prague is facing an odd plague of bad moods. Everyone in town seems to be grumpier than usual, and the general decline in morale is making the city lose some of its splendor. The cause for this plague is known only to a few people: The Nox.

There are a few places on earth where, at night, a different world blankets the normal world. Prague has recently become one of these places, and in the wake of the night realm come its monsters: Nightmares.

These terrifying creatures of varying shapes and sizes feast on the subconcious issues of humans, turning their dreams to horrors. The sleep deprivation from these dark visions is causing people to lose their temper.

Fortunately, the night realm has also given rise to another force. The Nox are people whose essences are freed at nightfall, and in equally varying shapes and sizes they hunt the Nightmares.

This new group of Nox is inexperienced but they're learning fast and their numbers are gradually increasing. The celestades, amulets that unlock the Nox essences, are manifesting themselves more and more, waiting to be brought to their destined bearers.

Mechanisms of this RPG: The players each take control of one or more characters. Each character has two sides: a human side and a Nox side. As stated before, Noxes exist in any shape or form. Every Nox has a unique proficiency, and every single Nox can use an ability called Skyting, which is essentially the ability to fly by negating gravity.

During the day, players write for the human side of their character. They live an ordinary life, deal with ordinary issues and talk about ordinary things. However, they do have the memories of their adventures as Noxes, so they might also reflect on that. It is also possible that one Nox discovers the human identity of another Nox, in which case they can discuss the events.

During the nights, players write for the nox side of their character. They travel the city, fly through the sky and talk to other Noxes while hunting Nightmares.

The Night Realm is devoid of any life other than the Nightmares, Noxes and Bearers. Every nightfall, the realm is copied off the real world, meaning that any damage done during one night will be gone the next. There is one area that is immune to this set-back rule, which is the Noxes' base of operation. (I haven't decided what that will be for Nox Praha yet. Contestants are the astronomical clock and the Krizikova Fontana)

The aforementioned Celestades can also take varying shapes. They can be different things as well. The bearer must have it on him or her by nightfall, or else they won't be able to participate during the night events. They must also be asleep at some point during the night, it doesn't matter which.

The players will have to indicate whether their character already has their Celestade at the beginning of the story, or if they want to receive it during the first night, unlocking their Nox.

Requirements for application:
Human Side
Name:
Celestade:
Additional Info (Such as the way they look and personality):

Nox Side
Nox Name:
Proficiency:
Shape:
State at start of the story:
Additional Info:

An example application. This was the leading character of my first RPG, Nox London.
Human Side
Name: Leonardo Silver
Celestade: A pendant, shaped like a ring with a lightning bolt in it
Additional Info: Leonardo has a breezy personality and is known for his good looks. He has bright blonde hair, dark eyes and is quite tall. Leonardo is aware of Gemini's (other Nox) human identity and the two often discuss the night realm together.

Nox Side
Name: Dynamo
Proficiency: Control of electricity
Shape: A simplified humanoid body, although disproportionately slender. There's rings around both of his wrists, which start to spin at incredible speeds whenever Dynamo makes use of his ability. He's also very fond of and proficient at Skyting.
State at the start of the stoty: Already awoken and the most experienced member of the group.
Additional Info: Dynamo is as lighthearted as his human self, but he's very enthousiastic and a good nightmare hunter. He practically never touches the ground, preferring to stay aloft with skyting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, this is a pretty big concept, so if you think it might be too much I can probably come up with a simpler one. I just had this one on hand already, since the first Nox RPG I hosted qas quite a success.
Firellius

Postby He Who Hungers » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:00 pm

If we can all agree on the settings (I don't quite mind), I'll want to join. Sounds kind of like fun ^^
Confucius wrote:The gentleman is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.
He Who Hungers

Postby Albelius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:17 am

So do we post the application here or in some other thread? :) Sounds pretty fun. Though how the night-time is decided? If we happen to be nerding around the computer during night-time, do we write about the night or does the gamemaster tell us which time of the day it is?
Victory is shallow if the enemy is insulted, defeat is satisfying if the enemy respects you.
Albelius

Postby Firellius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 am

Albelius wrote:So do we post the application here or in some other thread? :) Sounds pretty fun. Though how the night-time is decided? If we happen to be nerding around the computer during night-time, do we write about the night or does the gamemaster tell us which time of the day it is?

I will make an OC introduction topic if we have enough players. And as the gamemaster, I will make it night or day in the story.
Firellius

Next

Return to Club General Chat