It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:21 pm
Change font size
The Gent's Club Rage-free Gaming!

Club General Chat

Storywriting RPG, anyone?

A chat for Club stuff that isn't directly related to a game.

Re: Storywriting RPG, anyone?

Postby CorruptDictator » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

While I like story writing RPGs (although I have not done one in years), I always feel it is best to leave the setting as open as possible. The most successful one I ever did started with nothing more than a beginning location (in that case an inn/bar) and a basic world conflict that the players may or may not want to be involved in. We had no "gamemaster" other than someone to call out unfair acts (such as using another player character without permission) and let everything be freeform.
“your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”
― Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential
CorruptDictator

Postby Firellius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:11 pm

CorruptDictator wrote:While I like story writing RPGs (although I have not done one in years), I always feel it is best to leave the setting as open as possible. The most successful one I ever did started with nothing more than a beginning location (in that case an inn/bar) and a basic world conflict that the players may or may not want to be involved in. We had no "gamemaster" other than someone to call out unfair acts (such as using another player character without permission) and let everything be freeform.

That sounds a lot like a storywriting RPG I played a long time ago. It was simply called "The Inn" I believe, and everyone was free to come and go as they pleased.

However, I think that both freeform and scripted have their charms, and since most people here have never done storywriting RPG before, it might be a good idea to start with a scripted one and start a freeform after that. I think scripted ones are easier to start with, since the setting and progress take a bit of pressure off the players.

We can also do a freeform though, if people are up for it. I'm game for any storywriting RPG, I haven't played in far too long.
Firellius

Postby CorruptDictator » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm

What forum would it be based out of? Just the General Chat?
CorruptDictator

Postby Firellius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:24 pm

CorruptDictator wrote:What forum would it be based out of? Just the General Chat?

I'm not sure. The art forum or Other Games section might be appropriate as well.
Firellius

Postby CorruptDictator » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Well, I'd be game if you want to try a free-form, heck i would start posting today and we could just see where it takes us =P
CorruptDictator

Postby Firellius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:40 pm

I don't really have an opening setting for a freeform though. You can start one if you have one/want to.
Firellius

Postby CorruptDictator » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:15 pm

The younger generations have only known peace. There are so few of us left anymore that still remember what is used to be like, fewer still that actually shed blood to give everyone the world we have today.

But I still remember.

My scars could tell a hundred stories. I remember when the gates fell and I could do nothing but watch my comrades fall to the great horde. I remember when the plains were flooded, killing thousands that only sought refuge. I remember the so called treaty signing, leaving us in ruin and leading to this “peace”.

Our youth are weak and everything I know, everything I remember and fought for will soon die with me. I lay here, alone in a diseased corner of my cabin. It is all I have left, the rest lost to taxes and the needs of a sick old soldier. At night I dream; the horrors of my past haunting me, but I never lose hope.

People may forget our history all too fast, but even a dying man can hope for a better future.

How does that do for a very open ended setting? The character taking is of no consequence, but the setting he provides leaves lots of questions for players to answer and possibilities to explore.
CorruptDictator

Postby Firellius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Sounds good, feel free to open a topic for it! I'll be happy to join!
Firellius

Postby CorruptDictator » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I will try and remember to do this when I get home tonight.
CorruptDictator

Postby CorruptDictator » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Started here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=798

Notice I have left it REALLY open until someone starts telling a story. The genre is completely unspecified and could even be a sci-fi depending on how people take it. In fact it could be really interesting if any players went out of their way to keep it more vague =P
CorruptDictator

PreviousNext

Return to Club General Chat